Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pomegranates!

Here's to you old pomegranate tree.
May your branches always blow freely in the breeze.
And may you bear bushels and bushels of pomegranates with ease...
Here's to you - Great Pomegranate Tree


We don't spend very much time on the side of our house where the pomegranate tree is. That would explain why I had no idea how it had grown this summer. At first I thought the grape vines had overtaken it. The branches were so weighed down with fruit that they touched the ground. I've never appreciated the pomegranate very much. I remember when I was young, my mom being very upset with my siblings and I, the evidence of sweet pomegranate juice on our clothes. I recall breaking it open, the pretty red seeds squirting their juice everywhere. I was "never" to eat that again! And so I didn't.


I looked at that poor exhausted tree and got the idea to make pomegranate jelly. With Nikki's help we picked the biggest and most red, it was a chore but well worth it. I will definitely be doing this again next year.


Getting the seeds out to make the juice was easy but time consuming. I used about 20 pomegranates and got 9 cups of seeds. I then put the seeds in the blender and pulsed a few times to release the juice. I strained the juice through three thicknesses of cheese cloth to remove all the pulp or icky chunks. All I wanted was the clear, sweet juice.


Next I added lime juice. The recipe called for lemon juice but I had a few limes in my fridge so I used them instead. Then the pectin and sugar went in and I boiled the heck out of it for a couple of minutes.


Next I poured it into jars and sealed it, it was so easy, sweet and delicious!


These little jars of jelly are so pretty. I'm so glad I gave this a try.



2 comments:

  1. Judy! how are you, dear? I'm so glad your a fellow blogger! Now I can keep up to date with the fam!!!


    Pomegranate jelly? Sounds delish... If you want I will give you my address so you can send some to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures Judy! I had no idea you could make pomegranate jelly and jam by using a sieve. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete