Monday, February 22, 2010

Donuts!

Homemade Donuts!
I think I'm in love with these, send help!



Oh my goodness! You simply have not lived until you eat one of these babies. Okay, I know I sound a little cocky here but seriously, I made these donuts on Sunday. One of my kids compared them to Krispy Kremes (this offspring is now my favorite). I usuallAdd Imagey shy away from anything that calls for a pot of boiling oil and hours upon hours of time. However, for these little guys I'd do it all over again. They were worth it. I made the dough in the morning, covered it and put it in the fridge all day. In the evening, when I was ready I rolled it out, cut the cute little guys and let them raise for an hour, then sent them swimming in the boiling canola oil. That's healthy right? I think I heard canola oil is healthy, please someone tell me it is!
Hello? Anyone?



The temperature of the oil was a little lower than it should have been at this point,
it should have been 375. They still cooked just fine though.


Here they are, these aren't the pretty ones. Those disappeared before I could snap a photo of them. I dunked them in pink frosting. Wait....... did you hear that? I think I heard them calling my name. I am strong, I am strong! Oh help me please!

I wish I could remember where I found this recipe, I roll out the red carpet for them, honestly!

1-1/8 Cup Milk

1/4 Cup Sugar

1 Package Yeast

2 Large Eggs

1-1/4 Stick Butter melted

4 Cups Flour

1/4 teaspoon Salt

Canola Oil

Warm the milk for about a minute in the microwave, add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk/sugar mixture and stir gently. Let this sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. Melt butter, let cool and mix with beaten eggs. Mix well. Add the egg/butter mixture to large mixing bowl, on medium speed mix in yeast mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add the flour 1/4 Cup at a time until the flour is all gone. Let the mixer run with a dough hook on medium speed for 10 minutes. Put the dough in a greased bowl, turning the dough to coat all sides, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least 8 hours.

Remove dough from the fridge. Lightly dust surface with flour. Roll dough out until 1/4 thickness. Cut donuts using 3 inch and 1 inch biscuit cutters, (I didn't have any of these so I used a 3 inch cup and a baby bottle to cut the center out, creative?). Let the donuts raise for 1 1/2 hours.

Heat oil to 375 degrees, not more than 380 degrees. Gently put 2 donuts in the hot oil, cook for about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels and dunk into your favorite glaze.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. ok those look so yummy! you are the woman! JUDY! did you do the donut holes too? OH man, melt in your mouth! gooeyyyyyyy melt in your mouth! You kids will NEVER leave home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I going to try this, I love donuts, they are my favorite! And they do look like crispy cremes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make homemade donuts at Easter I will give them a try! Oh and you should post your sugar cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete